Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I was just thinking about random stuffs and I realized that our Singlish is actually way interesting. Especially so for 'lah', 'leh' and 'lor'.

'Lah'
This is like an exclamation mark, or to show exasperation.
Anything lah (!).
I don't know lah (!)
'Leh'
This is like a question mark.
A group of friends are talking about a gathering.
Person A: XX leh (?) Can she make it?
'Lor'
This is like being indifferent.
Anything lor (...)
Also can lor (...)
It is pretty amazing that these 3 words(?) can actually change the meaning of how we want to convey our thoughts to others. Like 'anything lah' and 'anything lor' have totally different meanings with the same 'anything' word being used in both context.

Okay, enough said. I'm obviously very bored. =D

No comments:



call me tiger