Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tribute To Dada.

A loving, devoted husband, a caring father, and a doting grandfather; my Dada was all of it, and he excelled greatly.

From the memories of most of the Grandchildren, we remember Dada as a humorous man, and a man of great wisdom. More often than not, he will impart us with his knowledge and wisdom, and Dada was a great inspiration to each and every one of us.

I remember as a young child, Dada would bring me along when he brought tour groups around.

I remember going to Sentosa, Haw Par Villa and a few more places with Dada and his tour groups.

I remember how the staffs always teased Dada and I, asking if I was his daughter, to which he would proudly say, "No, she's my Grand-daughter!"

I remember the days in 1998 where I spent one whole year at Holland Road with Dada and Popo after school.

I remember buying candies and tidbits and hiding them in my bag, only to sneak a nibble at them when Dada was not looking, for the fear of getting nagged at for "eating rubbish".

I remember Dada always telling me to go to the dining table to take so-and-so to eat.

I remember Dada telling me to cut my nails and aim them into the bin.

I remember falling asleep on the smelly-but-comfortable sofa every afternoon, with Dada and Popo taking their afternoon naps as well.

I remember Dada showing off his "little mouse" to us Grandchildren often. He had 2, and they were mounted on each of his upper arm.

I remember dreading to eat the papayas from Dada's garden, because they were always being "watered" with all the males' liquid waste.

I remember rushing to eat the mangoes from Dada's garden, because they were always huge, yellow and sweet.

I remember, I remember, I remember. The list of things I remember about my Dada can go on for days, which I will not be able to list all of them out.

My beloved Dada was called home by His Father on 13 June 2009 at 1.19am. The Chan Yiptong family is greatly comforted knowing that Dada has returned home and is in the Lord's safe arms.

With so much to say, yet unable to pen down every single train of thoughts, pictures and videos of my Grandfather's wake and funeral will sum up everything.





And because I was hospitalised the very same morning that Dada passed away, I was unable to attend the wake for the first 2 days. Da Jie said that they all had mental block when it came to writing in the memories book, but I had no trouble, because I knew exactly the important highlights that imprinted lasting memories in my head. So this was what I wrote to Dada:


For memories sake, we took tons of pictures during the wake and these were the few I took with my camera.



On the 16th, a service was held, and for those who are interested, I have broken the service into snippets of 5 parts.








This has got the be the best picture, ever. With Popo looking down lovingly at the picture of her late husband. Priceless.

The Chan Yiptongs donned black suits and dresses, for the last service and cremation of Dada. No doubt it was heart wrenching, but we all knew Dada is well and always living in our hearts.




Encoffin


At Mandai Crematorium



On the 18th, a few of us went down to collect Dada's remains and I'm glad that although I was not able to attend the first 2 days of Dada's wake, I was there to place a part of him into the urn.



Bye bye Dada, rest in peace. We will always love and remember you. I hope I will be able to remember your voice in the many years to come. And I know for sure there's one thing I will never forget, and that's the way you call me, Seh Moi. Love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving tribute. My condolences.

Unknown said...

Thank you, whoever you are.



call me tiger