Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Running Milestone

I've always been challenging myself with my runs. To be faster and to have more endurance for distance.

After running consistently for nearly 2 years now, I've finally outdone myself.


On 25 Jan, I did a leisure 5km run which included pretty steep slopes at my estate. When I stopped to check the timing at my 5km mark, I surprised myself with a timing of 28:51. That was by far my fastest timing for 5km I've ever done! After that day, I was unable to achieve a timing that was as good as that, but mostly around 29mins to 32mins.


On 17 Feb, I pushed myself to do a 10km run as I haven't done a non-stop 10km run in a long long time and HK's Standard Chartered run was around the corner. Again, my run included slopes, and this time round, I did 2 small slopes and 3 steep long slopes. And once again, the timing surprised me! My previous personal best for 10km was about 1 hour 3 mins, so when I saw 1:00:55, I couldn't believe it, but yes I did it!


On 19 Feb, just 2 days after I broke my 10km PB, I did it again. In this run, not only did I beat my 5km PB and 10km PB, but I also met my personal goal and challenge of completing a 10km run in under an hour! This was definitely a crazy milestone for me as I never really believed that I could achieve this goal for I've had 3 occurrences of Pneumothorax and even had a lung operation for it in 2009.

I've come a long way. From struggling and being medically diagnosed with an eating disorder since 18, to having 3 Pneumothorax attacks, to a lung operation. I've always been a little round when I was younger, so I started a harmless diet but it slowly spiraled into an ED unknowingly which eventually led me to the depths of an ED. I now know that health is more important, and with proper exercise, eating whatever I want is possible. I can say that although I still watch what I eat (most of the time), I'm very much free from the clutches of the devil. Running has taken its place, and challenging myself to greater heights is something I truly love.

I'm so happy that I managed to do a 10km run in under an hour. This has got to be my greatest running achievement so far. =) I'm so looking forward to Hong Kong this weekend for I'll be bringing running to a whole new level and an entirely different experience! And of course, not forgetting all the Dim Sum I'm going to happily stuff my face after that... =p

No comments:



call me tiger